|Posted by Simon Ganderton on February 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM|
Over the Christmas period I was able to get the wings glassed into final position, though they still need to be shaped and polished, they are at least where they should be. This enabled me to fit the remainder of the lights which were quite straightforward. With everything wired up it was very pleasing to test all of the switches and find that it all worked as planned.
Attention has now turned to the interior where I have now managed to get most of the carpets fitted, I wouldn't claim that it was an easy job but I am pleased that it's mostly over. I have been determined to do as much of the work as possible myself and this included binding the carpets with my wife's sewing machine! After a bit of practice I got some good results, not perfect but okay.
I have also started the seats which are a bit of a challenge. We have always planned to make the most of the donor car's parts and as it had red leather seats they will be used as much as possible. The great benefit of this is that the seats will have a patina that would otherwise take years to create. After a few experiments it does seem feasible to cover the fiberglass seat bases and back supplied with the perforated leather from the Jag's seats.
There is actually relatively little left to do so I have to start thinking about the IVA test!